About a month ago, I added a new question to what I use for discussion starters when I visit senior living communities. I ask the residents who are usually sitting in a large circle:
If someone gave you fifty dollars right now, what would you do with it?
I WOULD BUY MYSELF A NEW OUTFIT.
I WOULD PUT IT IN THE BANK UNTIL I COULD DECIDE HOW TO SPEND IT.
I WOULD GET A COAT. A SPRING OR FALL KIND OF COAT.
I WOULD BUY NEW SHOES.
Now, that I realize that if the statistics are true..that 65 percent of the people in nursing homes have no visitors…..then how sad it is that there is no one to help them with even the most basic needs and wants. I heard that 65 percent statistic from an Activity Director who told me that about her facility in Montgomery County.
Oh, and what other questions do I use to get the conversations going?
- Who is a very important person in your life now?
- Who is someone you respect and admire?
- What are some things that you and your best friend like to do together?
- I want ??????
- When were you ever “good and mad”? (This is an old expression for being furious about something.)
- Happiness is……
- Love is……
- When did someone ever go OUT OF THEIR WAY to help you?
- Anne Frank wrote in her book THE DIARY OF A YOUNG GIRL…”In spite of everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.” What do you think of that statement?
- Did you ever have an imaginary friend?
- What does COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS mean to you?
- Something I would like to have ……….
- Tell me something about the inside or outside of your favorite house…….
- Were you the type of kid that liked to play MAKE BELIEVE?
- Did you like scary fairy tales with happy endings?
- Who taught you how to ride a bike or roller skate?